Thursday, September 25, 2008

Pros and Cons of Getting Up Early

So I'm going to see about setting my not-so-good blog-writing skills to work and publish a post that hopefully at least one person will find useful.
I've been getting up early for a while now, as I think most of you know, but my problem is that if I don't set my alarm I tend to sleep extremely late. I can't get up at what people think a reasonable hour is. I've decided that 5:30 is better than 10:30 myself though. So now I present you with the list of pros and cons from my personal experience with my person circumstances of getting up early (put in my usual rambling form):

Cons: My family is a group of people who tend to stay up late. And getting up at 5:30 makes me want to be asleep by 9:30. A bit of a problem for spending time with my family, especially on days when we have things going on in the evenings. I should just get over it and live on less sleep, but as it is I'm actually on less than before, and I can get pretty tired. Other night-time activities like concerts or sleepovers can be hard for the same reason. I'm used to getting up early, so my clock is set that way.

Pros: I find I can work better during the day, and even at night before I start getting sleepy and wishing for bed. I think writing as soon as I get up starts my brain as well, so I'm not tumbling about in a haze during exercise and breakfast and even my first few school subjects. It starts my brain. I'll probably have more stuff to put here during October when I'm going to take a break from actual writing to get myself ready for November. My dad comes down the hallway at about seven, but he mostly just says good morning as he goes by my door, then he's off to work. My mom has been having trouble getting up at a good time lately, so it's been 8:15 even before I see her; I haven't had a day yet that I'm not done with my words by that time, if I'm going to get them done in the morning. I'm almost always spent on my writing stints by that time anyway. I'm just trying to imagine what I can do in the almost three hours I have before I have to see anyone - assuming I don't waste it on the computer. There's origami to be done, school as well I guess (just to get ahead for November), and I might actually make some headway on my CSS and Javascript if I would ever sit down and look at them. I probably have to start over now, since I think I might have forgotten everything.

All in all though, I like getting up early, even though I'm starting to miss my family a little bit. I know some school kids have to get up at that time to go to school anyway, but since I don't have to start until later, I have those hours by myself.

And yes I understand that writing for something like two hours straight can be terrible for you hands, wrists, arms, back, eyes, head, legs, ankles, feet, eardrums and various other parts of your body. I think I'll survive for now though. I'm usually done after that anyway. I rarely get any other writing done the rest of the day. Thus my getting up early.

Anyway, I'm going to do my usual thing and ask my non-existant reader-base a question (just in case anyone ever feels like they want to comment): When do you get up, and why, and how do you like it?

No comments: