Thursday, January 27, 2011

So I Miss a Few More Days

Tuesday and Wednesday I was out of town, resulting in non-blogging. I did think of something to ramble about, though: why is it that so often anticipation of an event is better/worse than the actual event?

It reminded me about some thoughts on fear I've had before. I don't think any emotion can be bad by itself, we have them for a reason. If a person is afraid of something they usually have a reason. Snakes actually pretty dangerous critters. Or if a person's hurt you, emotionally or physically, you're a little afraid of them, so you can avoid them. It's just when it gets out of control that fear is so bad. Of course, that's pretty easy to do. I have an irrational fear of spiders, which I didn't used to have. When I was little, I didn't really care. In Africa, I didn't really care. We came back, just about everyone I know is scared to death of spiders. And snakes. I still like snakes, they're awesome, but spiders freak me out a little bit any more. It's frustrating.

Anyway! I figure dread and anticipation are somewhat similar principles. When you dread something you think about it, all the ways it could go wrong, you speculate. That's not a bad thing, but only when it gets out of control. I guess this could be applied to every emotion though, even the ones like affection and the like. Of course, it's not appropriate to be totally without emotion either, it's just a moderation thing, I guess.

No comments: