Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Wednesday: Random Musings Day

Not that I usually do anything but randomly muse, but today I think I'll devote an entire post to short, random statements. After the day's news: I got up and actually did some plotting today. Early morning plotting isn't going very well though, so I think I'll maybe to go afternoon plotting out in my treehouse. With my writing hat. My writing hat! I haven't talked about it. Remind me tomorrow.

Whenever I make a particular origami kusudama thing for an event or some such, I seem to have to make 25 or so of the same thing. Since I tend to procrastinate on getting paper and cutting it and folding it and putting them together, I rush through them all near my deadline. I don't suppose anyone else in the world ever does that... anyway, by the time I'm done, I'm so sick of the design that I think I'm never going to make another one again. But then... after a few months, I find myself making at least one more... it drives me nuts. And my fingers have it memorized how to fold the pieces. I hardly have to look.

It's an incredible blessing to have a computer that works with the printer, and networks with the other computers and such like. But... I miss one particular program I had on Ubuntu: Rhythmbox. It was a pretty simple interface thing, but what I loved about it was that I could listen to an internet radio station (Final Fantasy Radio, actually), and it would pop up briefly with the song title when the next song came on. You wouldn't believe how irritating it is to go back to listening somewhere without live updating of that kind of thing. You wouldn't believe how few music players actually do that. Right now I'm using RealPlayer. It doesn't pop up a little box or anything, but at least all I have to do is highlight it to find out the song name. I don't have to have a browser window open for it. Too bad Rhythmbox doesn't have a Windows distribution... I'll find something eventually, I guess, or just deal with it.

I've picked up my flute again, off and on a bit. I think I'm improving. I can typically hit the highest C (uh... C8, I think. Second-highest C on a full 88-key piano keyboard), and I can even remember the fingering for it. If I could just remember the fingerings for G7-B7... It really helps that I've found a website with flute sheets for all levels and pretty much all genres, so I'm never short of practice material. They even have a few video game tunes. Of course, I can play vocal sheets and quite a few piano melodies too, but it helps to have music written particularly for flue, especially if I want something a bit more challenging. Say, for practicing those really high notes? Time for The Queen of the Night Aria!

Tomorrow: pictures of my bromeliad and my writing hat, as well as exposition about both objects.

No comments: