Sunday, September 19, 2010

I Guess I Should Update About School...

And other such-like things. I started my senior year in high school this year, and I guess after that I'll have to pick somewhere to go to collage, and therefore what I want to major in, at least generally, and therefore what I want to do with my life. Crud. I hate decisions.

My problem is that I don't really want to commit to doing just one thing with my life. I like a lot of things; I don't know that I'm any good at them, but I like them none-the-less. Writing, languages, origami, music, math is pretty fun, too. I don't want to give any of them up really. I also don't know that I want to take any one of them and make it my job. They say that's the best way to ruin a hobby.

Eh, who am I kidding, I'm just afraid of decisions in general. I have to stick with something, which I've never particularly liked doing. But I'm not there yet. I just hope God will tell me what he wants me to do.

For the time being I have Algebra 2 and Pre-Calculus to do this year, Physics, Latin, and my literature course is called Survey of British Literature. It includes a lot of poetry, I've found out. Already I've read "Beowulf" and "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight," and next up is "Canterbury Quintet." All of those are old stories in verse.

Latin's not actually going to make me a speaker of the language, but it seems to be giving me the grammar and a lot of vocabulary for learning the roots of words we use today.

What else... oh, it's my last year with my piano teacher too. As a matter of fact, she's retiring after I'm through. Sadness... she's got me on a lot of classical stuff, Invention #13, a Rachmaninoff Prelude, some other things I can't remember... oh! She wants me to learn Flight of the Bumblebee. That one scares me. All chromatic scales and stuff at ultra-high speed...

It's not too heavy of a load though, so the most important event of the year, NaNoWriMo, should still be do-able for me. I'll have to practice my piano more than sometimes, if I want my senior recital to be any good, but I always end up with plenty of time in the month anyway, when it comes down to it.

I finished a first sweep of editing a story I wrote a few summers ago. Originally it was over 100K, but I'm not sure what it is now. I'm in the middle of typing it up, and editing it again as I do. I'm not sure what exactly I want to do with it after that. Probably keep it uploaded on the web for me to forget all about, until I read it again, decide it's awful, and either trash the thing or write it all over again.

Speaking of! I realized what's wrong with my multi-NaNo story. Crystal Glare, the one I wrote first in '07, and rewrote this last NaNo, needs another rewrite. Not this NaNo, though. I think it'll be a project for later on. I'll be changing it rather drastically, actually. Maybe growing up my characters a little bit, splitting them up more. The whole thing has always been way to linear. I don't mind linear in some novels, but this thing read way too much like a video game. They knew where they needed to go, and yet I kept them all together, when they didn't really need them all? It made no sense. I'll throw in more plot and intrigue next time around. I just wish I hadn't already tried this thing twice. Oh well. This November I'll be writing about... what will I be writing about? Oh yeah! Another episode in Yavn. This one will border a bit on Sci-fi I think. I guess it's still Fantasy though, since it's not really Earth's future we're talking about. It'll probably be kinda steampunk-ish, if I ever get my plotting done. I've never been this far into the future of the land before. This should be exciting.

Yoikes and away!

No comments: