Friday, September 10, 2010

Am I Insane? Day 1

So it's day one of my totally insane weekend of writing. So far I'm at close to 5,000 words of my daily 10,000. Still working chapter 1, though of course before that I had a prologue, and before that I had an introduction, because I like prologues and introductions are helpful to get me in the groove before writing, and they add words. Which helps.

I'm not a programmer, but that doesn't stop me from messing around with my computer. I recently got a little netbook, which came with Windows 7 Starter, which is kind of a lame operating system. I like Linux for messing with, and I figured that since I could install Ubuntu Linux right alongside Windows, I could make a switch easier, since I'm not very good with the whole coding thing. I've done this before, on another computer. So I install Ubuntu, but I see that it doesn't like to boot up very well. I look for a fix, and to do it I go to the root file system, which is where the computer keeps its really important startup files and such like. Actually, everything is ultimately in the root, but certain folders are protected, and certain things you can only do from the root. Anyway, I input the commands like I'm told, and I do something wrong, I don't know what, probably when I was trying to find the command to shut it down again. In the end, I deleted every scrap of data on my computer, not just Ubuntu but Windows 7. Facepalm.

In the end, I lost every file, but not really. I should have my OS and stuff backed up to an .iso CD, so I can restore everything just like it was. Minus some stuff I downloaded since then, but I can get those things back easily. The only thing I lost... one recording I made, and the music editor files for about four more. That's ok. The one I lost I never particularly liked anyway, and I wasn't going to edit the others any more, I didn't think. I wasn't quite happy enough with them for it to be worth that.

Anyway, I'm procrastinating. Right now I have about 6,000 words today, so 4,000 to go. I'd like to have some buffer, too, since I'll be at church about half the day on Sunday, it'd be nice to be ahead.

I shall write my words or die trying! Write or Die!

No comments: