Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Thoughts on EdMo and Editing

So now that I'm a few days into NaNoEdMo, I thought I'd post a little of what I'm experiencing and what I think about my editing so far (as if I haven't talked about that at all).

So far things are going all right. I've gotten two hours done every day so far, and right now I'm 1 hour and 19 minutes ahead of schedule. It's strange going by hours instead of words or something like that. It's strange...usually I have no problems sitting still for two hours to write in the mornings, but now that I'm paying attention to the clock I find myself turning into a little ball of cramped-ness after an hour. I don't know, I probably get up around then when I'm writing anyway to get a snack or something, but I have to think now to stop my watch to avoid cheating.

I'm still working on writing in scenes, but I'm getting close to being done with that I think. I have about... two and a half scenes, not counting the epilogues? If I can finish that up this week, I'll be happy.

And then I have one more decision to make...I'm thinking of moving the very beginning of my novel to a little past the beginning and splitting it up into flashbacks or internal thinking flashback-type-things (like a flashback without the flash). That would involve yet more rewriting... but I'm thinking it would make things flow a little better. You know how someone said that to find the beginning of you novel you just rip off the first 30 pages and what's left is where you should actually start? I guess that's the kind of thing I need to do.

But I want to start line-editing! It would make a mile-stone for me. Of course, if I work on the first few scenes and then end up deleting them and splitting them up and putting them elsewhere, I'll be kicking myself.

I guess I have until I finish the rest of these other scenes to decide. And pondering this counts as editing time, right?

1 comment:

Anna Scott Graham said...

oh, it definitely counts!

the first thirty pages of some of mine certainly qualify to be ripped away... :)))

sounds like things are progressing...