Saturday, March 14, 2009

Absorbtion and Regurgitation

Not in the gross way of course. But I've been thinking. When someone starts writing, they're doing a lot of copying. Not on purpose of course, but they still do it. I'm not really excluding myself in this, I think maybe I still do it some. It's like... you read in a book how a crossbow is described and explained, and then when you decide to write about it, no matter how you try to do it, it sounds a lot like how it was in the book you read. You might not notice it, but often it's like that.

I think it's because you don't know enough about your own writing, so you're just regurgitating bits of information. Proper research of say, a crossbow would help you too, so you actually know how it works, but it's partly just because you don't know how you would really explain it. Developing your own style seems to just be a thing of learning to type down smaller and smaller bits of information that you hear, until they can be so shuffled up that no one can tell.

That's what's been floating around my head anyway. I've been meaning forever to write a post on it, so I finally did - when I'm supposed to be editing no less.

1 comment:

Anna Scott Graham said...

oh, this is great! and so true...

one's style has to be cultivated somehow, someway...

great insights... it just takes time...