Wednesday, January 28, 2009

BFS Update

I AM still alive, and I'm posting some ramblings to prove it. And also an update on my goals.

  • Grow closer to Christ - It's hard for me to say on this one...I hope I'm doing it all the time, but lately I've been bad about having a quiet time. It's not like I don't have time...
  • Win NaNoWriMo 2009 - NaNoWriMo isn't until November, so I think it's ok that I don't have a plot or anything yet. I might start thinking on it though.
  • Edit my 2007 NaNo - I've done some work on it, but I still haven't finished filling in the scenes, so I can't start line-editing yet.
  • Edit my 2008 NaNo - Haven't given it a thought yet. Probably won't until I finish Crystal Glare.
  • Learn Italian to a conversational level - On lesson 7 of 15 (I think), going well enough as far as I can tell. I don't think I can form my own sentences yet though.
  • Learn at least one fancy musical piece for flute - Not picked out yet even.
  • Get up early (6 or ealier) at least 60% of the time - Well, I haven't gotten up enough this month I don't think. And I've forgotten to keep track. Why is it that it's so tough? I've done it for so long now...
  • Learn to drive (driver's ed, permit, restricted, license) - I've had a driving lesson in the old blue truck, and next up is me studying the handbook so I can take the test for my permit.
  • Get to the point on my flute that I'm capable of playing in church - Not enough practice. I haven't progressed as much as I want to in my flute. I need lessons, no teacher found yet.

In other news, the ocarina I ordered from Maparam came on Saturday. I've been doing almost nothing but playing it since it came out, and just the other day I found the basic music for this song by Mannheim Steamroller. Well, the song is an old Spanish Christmas Carol, but with the basic music, I'm trying to figure out by ear the variations Mannheim puts on it. So far I've got all most all of it, but the very last fancy bit on my new Double Alto C. I've had to get a lot of help from my mom though, who has a much better ear than I do. Hopefully I can get it.

In the song, that's not actually an ocarina by the way. I'm pretty sure it's a pennywhistle, what I'm pretty sure is originally an Irish instrument. It sounds fairly similar to an ocarina however.

Oh, and as for the rambling part of my post, I was thinking the other day. I live in Kansas, named for the Kansa indians who either lived here, or were chased here after being chased out of the east by settlers. The interesting this is that the name Kansa means "People of the South Wind." The company I bought my ocarina from is called Maparam, which in the pure Korean means..."South wind." So I own a South Wind ocarina in the land of the People of the South Wind. Interesting? Maybe. Particularly useful? No, not really.

I like my ocarina though.

1 comment:

Anna Scott Graham said...

I like your rambling... :)))

looks like goals are going along well... as for the first one, that's always going to be something I'm working at, feeling like I never quite get where I want to be...

but that's the beauty too. He doesn't mind... :)))