Sunday, December 9, 2007

Fountain Pen Ramble (probably Haiku too!)

So, if you will kindly look at the picture over there, ====>
You will see my beautiful Waterman Phileas fountain pen. It's over my notebook, and the snowglobe is there just for fun.
Beautiful, no? For those of you that know what a fountain pen is, skip the following part:
A fountain pen as far as I know is one of the oldest actual pens. For some reason I'm thinking that the nib was at first attached to quills, because the hollow feather allowed it to be filled with ink, and then the nib (the part at the end that you write with) would help it to last longer. I could be wrong on that however. Anyway, the fountain pen is a very elegant writing instrument, and it writes beautifully. My writing is sloppy (that's my writing in the notebook), but I'm sure it'll get better. The thing I really love about it is how it glides over the page. I don't really notice other things not gliding, but if I use a pencil right after the fountain pen, or in this notebook because I'm used to it in this notebook, it seems weird and hard to do.

Those of you who know about fountain pens, here you can start reading again.
My pen came as a nice set for my birthday in August, with the pen, a bottle of ink, a converter, cartidges in several colors, blotting paper and a cloth to wipe with. And don't forget the booklet! I'm really enjoying it, even though until a few days ago I was scared to get it out and use it at all. I got over that quickly as I started writing with it. It's so much fun! I have a medium nib on it, however I've heard that these Waterman nibs run a bit broader than the normal American nib. But what do I know?

Anyway, I love my fountain pen. If you like to write, a fountain pen is a great way to write, it's very elegant, and they write wonderfully. You can use bottled ink or cartridges, either way is great.

Happy writing!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: