Monday, July 25, 2011

Language Focus or Another Novel Challenge?

Now that I'm back from vacation I guess I should figure out what to do with my almost-month left before school starts. I'm mostly caught up on Italian, although I've been skimping on those exercises. I have a lot of material in the language I could work with: things to read, things to listen to, probably I could even find a language exchange partner or someone to kinda tutor me over Skype. I have almost a whole month to be awesome at Italian!

Yeah, not really awesome, as such, but whatever. Alternatively, there's another Camp NaNo in August. So writing, or language... another language option is to work on Ganyi. Another writing option is to edit my July CampNo (totally just made that up. Probably not the first one), and translate it into Ganyi, as was the plan. Also I just found myself yesterday on a website for another conlang, a supposedly very logical one. It's a good thing I don't have a job, I guess. It could get even worse, remember that.

The other good news is I think there's really nothing major happening from now until school starting on the 22nd of August. I need to get up to the school and return a book and get my student ID card. And some shopping, clothes, supplies, etc. I hate clothes shopping. School supplies may be slightly more fun. I can work around that, I figure.

So here's the question: extra language work, or writing something new? I don't exactly have an idea for anything in particular to write in August, but that's not much of a problem. Actually, what was I thinking about just yesterday? It made me marvel at how easily I can get sidetracked into Yavn. I was looking at the clouds, I think... and... nope. Don't remember. I do remember that I was looking at the stars on vacation and thinking of creating little legends or stories around groups of them, but in Yavn they'll be said to represent different moments of the Elements working together, depending on the shape. That was it. I could write a collection of those. Maybe in like 20 days. That might be nice. Have at least a few days break before school. 50k in 20 days makes for an even 2.5k/day. I kinda like that idea. And that's not so hard compared to writing 3.5k a day like I did this month. I could probably keep up with my Italian then, and I think I'm going to be done with that on like the 11th. Wait. Earlier, I guess. How'd I get ahead of schedule? Oh well. The remaining time can be spent either working on what's next or getting through the stuff I skipped. And/or translating July CampNo into Ganyi, as was the original plan for August. Maybe I can do it all before school starts. That'd be cool.

No comments: